PAINT STORE | SEE ALL
Painting 101: Finding Colors
Inspiration can come from many different places, the possibilities are endless! A favorite fabric, a flower or that beautiful rug that caught your eye - all can provide the basis for your paint color selection.
Watch decorating shows for ideas. Look through magazines and style books. You can also be inspired by furniture, artwork or colors that remind you of a favorite vacation spot.
5 Ways to Find a Color
- Connect rooms with colors that transition smoothly. You can do this easily by choosing the main living area palette first. Next choose a color from that room to do the adjoining space. You will have a nice flow throughout your home following this pattern.
- If you have a chair or sofa with a pattern or favorite art piece, choose the color you like most If you want the room more neutral choose a gray, white or beige color from the piece.
- Stay grounded by following nature - Use dark colors on the floors, mid-tones on the wall and your lightest shade on top walls or ceiling.
- Stay Neutral - Choose today's trendiest neutral-gray or an off white, white or beige for walls. Add pops of color with pillows, window treatments, lamp shades, vases or accent walls.
- Use the never fail formula of the 60-30-10 rule. 60 percent of the main color, 30 of the secondary color and 10 percent of the accent pieces.